Tuesday, July 31, 2012

I have a choice to make...

And it is not an easy one.  There are some things, when building a house, that just can't be undone.  I don't like our brick!!!!  I am going to have to choose to let it go.  But before I do, I'll just spew forth my dissatisfaction.  Beware.


Here's the brick we thought we chose
Here's how the brick looks next to the stone  :-(

I love the building process.  I love seeing the ideas go from your head to the paper to the actual plans and then seeing the house take shape--from the first boards to the last drop of paint.  I don't consider myself all that talented when it comes to knowing what looks good together but I know what I like.  I do not like odd stone/brick combinations.  Our town is full of them.  So when we decided to do stone on front and brick on back I wanted to be sure that they blended well and complimented each other.  I have written about the difficulty they had finding the correct stone, and then the correct brick.  It turns out what I thought was the correct brick probably isn't.  So, instead of a nice smooth transition from tan/gold stone to tan brick we go from tan/gold stone to ugly pink brick.  Every time I go to the house I look at it and have to remind myself that there is nothing that can be done.  I hope that once it is all done I will be okay with it.  I realize that in the grand scheme of things this is relatively insignificant. But for now I am aggravated.  Seriously.

I probably shouldn't even be writing this right now!  The more I look at it the madder I get.  Is madder even a word?  

Well, the inside of the house is coming along nicely.  They have been working hard all week getting the drywall up and ready for texture.

one of the small domes

Rob and Susie in the kitchen

Looking from foyer to side entrance.  

Progress on the family room, looking into the kitchen

Groin vault outside master bedroom

Master bathroom

Are you kidding me?  This beast was found hanging around in the space for the master bath tub.  You can't tell from the picture but it has a leg span of almost 3 inches.  GROSS.

The ceiling in Joe's room has some interesting lines.

Brick work.  It would be great except I specifically did not want any contrast.

Drive through.  There is a fancy French word for it but I can't remember it and I don't feel like looking it up right now.  Grouchy.  Not to mention that the beams are not supposed to be like this... 

Front porch done!

Arbor off Master bathroom

Ah, yes... the barn site.  
The barn is a whole 'nother story.  We have been waiting MONTHS for the builder to make progress on it.  He has a lot going on and it just wasn't a priority, so we are going to find our own barn builder.  

So... this wraps up another blog post.  Not the most upbeat, for which I apologize.  Just have to keep giving myself the pep talk and at the moment it's not working!

2 comments:

  1. Is there any way you could stain the brick? A quick Google search brought up this: http://www.brickstaining.net/ which makes it look like there is a possibility of making quite a change using stain. Just a thought. It is so fun to watch the progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joan! We'll see how it turns out once they have power washed it. If I still really hate it then we will look at options. :-)

      Delete